Everyday aftercare Maintenance
GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR HAIR EXTENSIONS
1. Wash and condition your weave hair extensions with Shampoo and Conditioner (with no silicone/sulphate) – let the conditioner sit and soak into your hair extensions before rinsing 2. When conditioning, avoid putting product on the root area and thoroughly rinse to avoid build-up 3. Lock in moisture and ensure your hair extensions are truly nourished by applying a small amount of Argan Serum / oil to dry or wet hair 4. Keep hair protected from heated appliances by using Heat Protection Spray on both dry or wet hair extensions 5. To restore shine and softness, gently comb through wet hair focusing on mid-lengths and the ends – do this as often as needed
Brushing & Sleeping
TAKE THE TIME TO CARE FOR YOUR EXTENSIONS
The extensions are attached to your natural hair and therefore pulling them can result in pulling out your natural hair. Start brushing your hair from the bottom and then work your way up slowly to the top. Ensure you are using a professional extension brush to avoid breakage and damage to your own hair; Boar Bristle Brushes have been designed specifically for all types of hair extensions.
Never go to sleep with wet hair; always make sure your extensions are completely dry to avoid tangling. When sleeping, braid your hair extensions which also helps to avoid tangling and prevents the cuticles from rubbing together.
MAKING THE RIGHT CHOICES FOR YOUR HAIR EXTENSIONS
When purchasing new extensions, there are a number of things to be aware of which will cause damage to your hair extensions if the hair is exposed to them.
1. Strictly avoid salt water; as salt is a natural dehydrator it can cause your hair to become extremely dry, discoloured and difficult to manage.
2. Avoid getting your hair wet in swimming pools as the chlorine content in the water will also damage hair extensions, causing matting and discolouration.
3. Wear a hat in the sun where possible or use a UV protection spray for your hair as UV rays will discolour hair extensions.
4. Be aware that tongs, hair irons and heated rollers can be used on your hair extensions, however it is advisable to minimise the use of heated tools where possible as they will cause damage to your hair extensions (and your own hair), and never apply heat to the hair over 180°C.
PROLONG THE LIFESPAN OF YOUR HAIR EXTENSIONS
The lifespan of your hair extensions will depend on the aftercare. We don’t guarantee a definitive lifespan on any type of hair extensions due to them being a natural consumable product.
We don’t recommend silver shampoos and toners as they can damage the cuticle which will affect the lifespan of your hair extensions. We also don’t recommend colour on hair extensions; any colouring of extensions is done entirely at your own risk.
Light blonde coloured hair extensions will have a shorter life span due to the bleach content. Lighter shades will also require more care and less heat application to increase their lifespan.
Wash your hair 2-3 times a week. Excess washing and styling will damage the cuticle and decrease the lifespan of your hair extensions.
Take care of your hair extensions as you would your own natural hair and remember that like your natural hair, your extensions can be easily damaged with too much heat. Using heat on hair extensions will reduce their lifespan.
MAKE SURE YOUR HAIR EXTENSIONS ARE FITTED CORRECTLY
We strongly recommend that customers have a consultation before any permanent extensions are applied and that a qualified professional applies any professional hair extensions.
Hair extensions need regular maintenance appointments, as your own hair will grow by approximately 1.5 inches within three months. We recommend maintenance appointments every 6-12 weeks, depending on the application method.
If maintenance appointments are not kept and the above aftercare advice is not followed, Fayemous hair cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your own hair or the hair extensions.
Be aware that not everyone is suitable for hair extensions.